As a manufacturer of window dressings, we have a responsibility to the public to ensure all our products are child safe. We adhere to the European EN 13120:2009+A1:2014 standard as a minimum safety requirement. We continuously assess our safety devices to ensure they meet any changes to the European standard. All products are tested to BSEN 16433:2014 and BSEN 16434:2015.
We should all be aware of the hazards that can be posed by unrestrained cords, braids, loop chains and wires, which may be dangerous to young children, pets and vulnerable people. The following guidelines should always be followed:
- Young children can be strangled by loops in the pull cords, chains, tapes and inner cords that operate blinds or curtains. They can also wrap cords around their necks.
- To avoid strangulation and becoming entangled, keep cords out of the reach of young children, pets and vulnerable people.
- Move beds, cots and furniture away from window-covering cords.
- Do not tie cords together. Make sure cords do not twist and create a loop.
- Install and use the safety devices according to the installation instructions on these devices to reduce the possibility of such an accident.
Cord and chain operations
- All endless chains are supplied with child safety devices. We use either a chain release system or P-clips.
- Toggles are used as a breakaway device on all our roman spool cords.
- A cord cleat is supplied with every product that has pull cords. These need to be installed at a minimum height of 1.5 metres from the floor.
- Detailed instructions on how to install the devices in a safe manner are always attached to the blind.
- A warning tag that highlights the dangers to children is attached to every cord- or chain-operated blind.
‘Safe by Design’ Blinds
A blind which is safe by Design is one that is cordless, and has concealed or tensioned cords. We offer many blinds with these options which include:
- Wand operated
- Spring operated
Twisted Twine Designs are proud members of the British Blinds and Shutters Association’s (BBSA) Make It Safe Campaign. We take child safety very seriously and in no circumstance can a blind be fitted without passing the child safety regulations. We can provide you with more information on this and will also be able to provide expert advice. Our installers go through an extensive training programme to ensure they can fit our products safely. They’ll also give you a run-down of how to operate and maintain your new window covering so that it continues working for many years.